Friday, May 8, 2009

Mean Girls (movie)

Mean Girls
Paramount Pictures, 2004
Directed by Mark Waters
Starring: Lindsay Lohan, Rachel McAdams, Tina Fey
Rated PG-13

Summary:
Cady hasn’t just been homeschooled her whole life—she’s been homeschooled in Africa. She must now enter an American public high school, where she’s bowled over with culture shock. After Cady befriends a few misfits, she gets invited to hang out with The Plastics, a trio of super-popular girls. Cady initially hangs out with The Plastics “undercover,” reporting the news back to her misfit friends. However, she winds up becoming more like The Plastics every day, and we become unsure whether Cady is actually one of them or not.

Review:
Tina Fey wrote Mean Girls after reading Queen Bees and Wannabes. The result is a sort of sociological statement laced with Fey’s dark humor. The acting is good, the script is witty, and the message of self-acceptance is fantastic. But while I acknowledge that Mean Girls is a well-done film, I can’t love it as much as everyone else does. I like it, but I don’t adore it. Lindsay Lohan will just always get on my nerves. However, if you like her, or if you love Tina Fey, Mean Girls is for you. It’s also a good pick for smart teens looking for an intelligent teen movie.