Friday, May 1, 2009

Jane Eyre (movie)

Jane Eyre
Miramax, 1996
Directed by Franco Zeffirelli
Starring Anna Paquin, Charlotte Gainsbourg, William Hurt
Rated: PG

Summary:
Based on Charlotte Bronte’s novel, Jane Eyre follows the heroine from an impoverished childhood to an appointment as a governess in a large country mansion. Jane’s unhappy and plain childhood still cling to her, as she is now a plain and unhappy young woman. Nevertheless, she and the mansion’s owner, Mr. Rochester, develop a friendship, affection, and finally a romance. But as Jane grows closer to Mr. Rochester, she also begins to learn some of his darker secrets. Jane Eyre, while certainly a romance, also carries elements of tragedy and suspense.

Review:
Bronte described Jane as quiet and plain, and Zefferelli certainly made Charlotte Gainsborough fit the bill. I love Charlotte Gainsborough and would never call her ugly, but I understand how she was easier to hide in grays and bad hair than some other actresses. Her physical appearance works perfectly as Jane, and her acting is excellent as usual. William Hurt also plays an excellent Rochester—a brilliant blend of anger, mystery and kindness. I enjoyed the music, the scenery and all the acting, and thought it was an excellent adaptation of Bronte’s novel. I’d recommend this film to fans of the book, romance fans, and Jane Austen lovers.