Full Frontal Feminism: A Young Woman’s Guide to Why Feminism Matters
Jessica Valenti
Published by Seal Press, 2007; ISBN 1580052010
Recommended reading age: adult
Summary:
“The worst thing you can call a girl is a girl. The worst thing you can call a guy is a girl. Being a girl is the ultimate insult. Now tell me that’s not royally F***ed up. Recognizing the screwed nature of this little exercise doesn’t necessarily make you a feminist. But it should” (5). Jessical Valenti aims to make feminism “cool” again by pointing out sexism inherent in American culture—particularly pop culture.
Review:
I’m an avid reader of Valenti’s blog, Feministing, so it’s no surprise that I recommend her book. It didn’t really break new ground for me, since I tend to stay up-to-date on feminist news and sexism in pop culture. But for people (particularly women) who live in ignorance of the anti-woman messages that permeate American society, Full Frontal Feminism is a great primer and a great wake-up call. Jessica Valenti shows how being an empowered woman doesn’t make someone undesirable or un-cool. I recommend this book to smart teenagers, women, and smart men. Note, there’s quite a bit of dirty language in this book, so you should be okay with that.