Ender’s Game
Orson Scott Card
Published by Starscape, 2002; ISBN 0765342294
Recommended reading age: Young Adult
Summary:
After Earth gets attacked by aliens (termed “buggers”), countries join together to form a World Government. Children from every country are analyzed, tested, and—if they’re considered smart and talented enough—trained in military combat. The government hopes to find and train military geniuses, then send them off to defeat the buggers.
Andrew “Ender” Wiggin is one of the children considered smart enough to join Battle School, a military training facility in space. Armies of children constantly engage each other in mock battles, hoping to score high enough for promotion and graduation. Ender finds himself fighting the other children and the administration as his tactics shake the school’s very core.
Review:
I adore Ender’s Game, and recommend it to everyone I know, whether they like Science Fiction or not. This book is as much about psychological battles as it is about military tactics or alien invasions. Through simple writing, Orson Scott Card has created a multi-layered story about what it means to be human. I’d recommend this to everyone, but especially to sci-fi fans, psychologists-to-be, and fans of coming-of-age novels.